Well, my friends, less than two months of living in Ann Arbor has officially brought out my inner hipster. Here is some evidence:
- As a member of the Fortnight Literary Press staff, I spend an hour of my Sunday evenings in the basement of a small locally owned coffee shop critiquing other people’s poetry and short stories and answering questions like “What is your spirit animal?” and “If you could have lunch with any celebrity, living or dead, who would it be?” while drinking chai lattés.
- Though my allergies have cleared up enough that I can probably wear my contacts again, I still choose to wear my Buddy Holly-esque glasses. To be fair, a large part of that is because most mornings it doesn’t feel worth it.
- I witnessed my French guy friend Théau buying a baguette and noting that it would be far less expensive in France. It was trop mignon!
- I drink tea. All the freaking time. Especially chai lattés.
- My studying music consists mostly of indie bands and French rock operas on YouTube.
- I decided to transition to vegetarian eating habits before I got here. I have not fully made the switch yet, but when people look at my food and ask “Are you a vegetarian?” I usually tell them that I am.
- My backpack is covered in pins with liberal slogans.
- I have used “You’ve probably never heard of it,” in conversations. Several times. Examples include L’homme Qui Rit, C.R.A.Z.Y, La Révolution Française Opéra Rock, and other similar Francophile stuff.
- Since I miss my cats from back home, @EmergencyKittens has become one of my favorite Twitter accounts. If they allowed pets in my dorm I would probably already be a cat lady.
- I was asked twice in five minutes by random people on the street if they could bum a cigarette off me. I do not smoke, but apparently I look like I do?
- A couple weeks ago some of my friends got together to listen to Indonesian gamelan music for an assignment for our writing seminar. People walked by and thought we were listening to it for fun. Some of the songs were good, but all of it was completely different from anything I’ve ever listened to before.
- C.R.A.Z.Y- A paragraph about my favourite French film (beautifullyfuckinillustrated.wordpress.com)